Monday, December 23, 2013

Merry Christmas: Why Writing and Crafting are the same (and then some craft bits)

Sometimes I like to be crafty.

Ok. I really enjoy being crafty. Like so:


Recent attempts at painting turned out well.


Baby booties, larger than expected


Winky the owl, muse and mascot


My cookbook, before it was destroyed by blue spray paint

A variety of things as you can see, usually working out.

But this holiday, I decided to make scarves. Rather than spend my time further honing my writing skills, I made these babies for gifts to give to folks.


Scarfy fluffy goodness.

Armed with a small army of these for Christmas giving, I felt fantastic about my choice. 
Making something to give someone and then giving to them is a lovely feeling. Really. The person who receives your gift will generally feel touched that you thought of them, even if it isn't the prettiest thing they've ever received.

And making these is quite simple. I won't show you how, as this is not a craft blog, but to embolden and inspire you to go forth and make something simply for the joy of creation. Because that's what writing really is; not just telling a story, but creating something, new, borrowed, or given a shiny new coat of varnish, and making it your own, so it can be given, loved, understood, and appreciated.

Now, my excuse to do the crafty part:

If you so choose to make a scarf like so, you will need

  • a crochet hook, my preferred size is J
  • Red Heart Boutique Sashay ruffle yarn in the color of your choice
  • a small toilet paper tube (we'll get there in a minute)
  • a friend with patience and time

Here we have a finished roll. Rolling the ruffle yarn up like 
so helps immensely when knitting/crocheting. 
(And even though I'm team knit, this is far easier to crochet)

When the yarn comes bundled, it's completely bunched together and rumpled. This is why you need a tp roll, or part of the end off an old wrapping paper roll. Just cut it to about 4-5 inches. You will need a partner to stretch and hold the rumpled yarn, giving a firm tension. You will then roll the yarn. I recommend rolling away from yourself, but it's all preference.




See the pile at the top? Hard to pick up loops if it's all crinkly.

When you're all done, your roll should be nice and fat, 
all stretched out and ready to go.



Here is the final project, from skein to roll to yarn ream to scarf.
And that's it for ruffle yarn. I'm biased because I like the look of the sashay yarn.
But for an additional bit of crafty stuff, take a look at this juice carton wallet! 
Be amazed at it's coolness!

For the project click here
 

That is all for now. Even if you don't celebrate Christmas, have a happy/merry whatever!
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Remember crafting and writing is all about creation. So go forth and be inspired!

And remember to share the post if you enjoyed it please.


No comments:

Post a Comment