Friday, January 24, 2014

Grow Your Blog: Why I Blog and What I Do

Today is my official post for the Grow Your Blog blogging event hosted by 2 Bags Full, and is in its second year.
See? Fancy announcement for the event!


I have been asked why I blog or why I started this blog.
To be honest, they are for selfish reasons: I want to promote myself for the day I become a published author, so that I have something to show for the book that will someday grace the shelves of Barnes and Nobles, Walmarts, and small business book stores (hopefully) around the country someday.

I don't love to blog, in a sense. For me, I love to write, love the feeling of expressing what I think and know, sharing it with others, or simply just telling a good story. Writing first and foremost in my book has always been about telling a good story. 

"While walking at night in a market in Marakesh, I met Death on the street." Those fifteen words should have you hooked. If they don't, then I didn't do my job to draw you in and make you want to know what happened after I met Death in Marakesh. Did we gamble for my soul to find the most pure-hearted human alive? Did we dance and cackle like goblins, rounding up souls to be taken to Charron?

For me, everything is about a story. Spoken word, anecdotes, and tales of my life's adventures elude me, have no meaning or significance to others. But when it comes to the written word, of tales of gallantry and great courage, wicked queens and strange birds that transform into sorrowful maidens, my mind and words find form, become solid and take shape in marvelous ways, like a creation goddess on some distant isle as creatures take shape from the music of her lyre.


And of course, things should have a point.
My ultimate goal is to get this baby published:



It's a mock-up of what I'd initially like the cover to look like. I also like to dabble in graphic design, by the way. Not today, but someday, I will publish "Heart of Stone". Will it be a mega-hit? Likely not. But it will be mine, definitively.

I also like to offer advice on some of the trials and tribulations that younger people - or just everyone in general  - runs into with publishing, finding a job, or just living their life and working to make sense of it all.  I also like to knit and paint, and occasionally share my great love of yarn - but not too much. This is a blog about writing, writers, and all that that entails.

So I am actively inviting everyone who stumbles on my blog to follow me: for humor, insights, and occasionally, a good story that may or may not be true, concerning Death and a market in Marakesh, and work on a plethora of novels started but not finished.

Primarily, this post is for the Grow Your Blog Event of 2014. But to all you hopeful writers and dreamers, crafters and creators, this blog is for you as well. Sometimes, we need a little help and a little push in the right direction to help us stagger out of the muck of blissful, anonymity in a sea of mediocrity. And boy, do I know that feeling.

Feel free to email me/chat at inscientiaestverum@gmail.com

I am having some technical issues today, so if you send me a comment, please bear with me. :)

10 comments:

  1. Hi, Rachael - happened through today, at Vicki's request as a helper/reader for her Blog Party. Glad she sent me - I would have been here eventually, on my own, but this was the quicker, more direct route. I LOVE the written word - glad you're blogging, and glad you joined the party - you hooked me with the Death on the street in Marakesh, for sure! Having a problem becoming a follower here - I'm not using Google+, and that is evidently where my problem lies. I am entering you in my reading list of blogs, and know that I am, indeed, a follower. Happy Saturday - happy blog jumping! Tanya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for following! I hope you enjoy what you read and I'll be popping over to Bead and Needle soon :)

      Delete
  2. A lover of story! Well, I guess I've found a kindred spirit... I love words: sharing them, reading them, turning them into stories...

    I got here via GYB. It is lovely to meet you. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi again
      I did comment on your blog - very interesting stuffs over there. So I will be checking on you from time to time to see what goodness you've got! Happy writing Ms. Magaly.

      Delete
  3. Hello, I'm visiting from the GYB party. I hope you one day see your name on the shelves of a bookstore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rachel! Thank you for stopping by at my blog today! I admire you for being an author! I wish I had the patience and talent to write. Maybe in another lifetime. :) I look forward to following you and will keep my fingers crossed that you hit it big one day soon. ;)

    Jennifer www.karmas-journey.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I'm visiting from the Grow Your Blog party. Your blog is very interesting and I wish you all the best. One day when your book is in Barnes & Noble I can say "I blogged with her"! I plan to look around a bit more and then be on my way to visit the others. I do hope you will stop by for a visit and enter my giveaway. Have a wonderful weekend! Hugs – Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Donna!
      That would awesome. Then when you strike it famous, I can say I know a celebrity too!
      Have a great week and many blessings.
      Best,
      Rachael

      Delete
  6. Hey Donna, How smart to use pinterest as a storyboard for your book. I do a little writing and will have to try that. I wish you the best of luck, I know how hard it is to get published. It has been lovely getting to know you.

    Hugs
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, nice to meet you. I wish you great success as a writer. You seem to be well down the road to your goals. Happy hopping!

    ReplyDelete